Many families have their own New Year traditions, and it’s always fun to celebrate another year together as a family. Here are some ideas for New Year’s Day activities the whole family can enjoy.
1) Make a special breakfast. What can be better on the first morning of the year than a leisurely breakfast featuring your family’s favorite food? Whether you’re sleeping in or up early, you can make a delicious New Year’s Day breakfast together. Some easy ideas include pancakes, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, French toast, and muffins. You can also explore traditional New Year’s Day foods from around the world, such as soba noodles, tamales, or lentils.
2) Discuss your year ahead. The first day of the year is an ideal time to set goals and make plans as a family. You don’t need to get very specific, but you can each share what you hope to accomplish for the year ahead, or what you’re looking forward to. You can create a checklist with drawings and photos to help all members of the family feel included.
3) Send greetings to family and friends. Many of us have friends and relatives all over the world, and New Year’s Day is a good time to send your best wishes as a family. Whether it’s through video chat, a phone call, a text, or an email, getting the whole family involved will show your loved ones how much you care.
4) Attend a local event to celebrate the New Year. Many towns host family-friendly events on New Year’s Day. For example, you can enjoy a parade, see a movie, go ice skating, or visit a museum or zoo.
5) Think of ways to help others. Even though the holiday season is over, making a plan to help others can show your child that it’s important to have compassion for others all year long. On New Year’s Day, you can spend some time discussing ways you can show kindness to those less fortunate throughout the year, or you can help your child set aside some toys to donate to underprivileged children.
6) Spend time outdoors. No matter where you live, there is likely an outdoor activity you and your family can enjoy on the first day of the year. Whether it’s an afternoon building snowmen or a hike through the forest, your family can enjoy the fresh air and start off your new year with some quality time.
7) Do something new. The new year provides an ideal opportunity for you and your family to experience something new and fun. Try a new tradition on New Year’s Day, such as a special dinner, a particular movie, or a fun activity that you decide on together. This is a great way to create lasting family memories.